Friday, October 1, 2010

Feminine Friday: Split Personality

Sometimes there are things in a room that just make me say, "wow, I would've never thought to do that."  For example, at a glance this is a beautiful, balanced room with elegant furnishings.  Upon closer inspection, notice that this room has split personalities.  The 2 vignettes that are flanking the window are completely different.  The one on the left is made up of a bright gilt mirror, warm burled wood console, and a lamp with a light cream shade.  The opposite side has a dark antiqued mirror, a sleek espresso console, and a black lamp shade.  The room has a subtle femininity because of turned legs, a Queen Anne settee, and soft colors.
image via: decor pad
Do you think you could pull off split personalities?  Or would you want matchy matchy?

8 comments:

  1. Split personality, I have a project going and in the bathroom there are sconces, same brand/color but different styles. I look to mix things up. Matchy Matchy is for scary cats. Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's certainly peculiar, isn't it. A photo only shows part of the room so I have to wonder if there's something outside of the image that would make it make more sense. There's a reflection in the left mirror that shows there's another lamp in other corner of the room. I mind the split personality much less than a carpet that sits a foot away from all the furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want matchy, matchy, however I can't really do a total split personality either. Beautiful room. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I likey! I'm a big fan of symmetry that's just a bit off...be it one extra piece or parallel pieces that are of similar scale and purpose, but have very different details. Very cool!

    Have a great weekend, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes.. they are so so different... but the come together perfectly.. You dont really have to match everything..

    I dont over do the matching... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a choice for my own home, I would choose symmetry but not exactly matching. In the above image for example, I would have maybe done the mirrors the same but the consoles and lamps different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love symmetry, but for me it almost has to be matchy matchy. Wish that wasn't the case but...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the split...but, matchy, matchy makes me feel calmer...more balanced...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails